2015 INDIEFAB Book of the Year Award Finalist
In the fight against human trafficking, cross-sector collaboration is vital—but often, systemic tensions undermine the effectiveness of these alliances. Kirsten Foot explores the most potent sources of such difficulties, offering insights and tools that leaders in every sector can use to re-think the power dynamics of partnering.
Weaving together perspectives from many sectors including business, donor foundations, mobilization and advocacy NGOs, faith communities, and survivor-activists, as well as government agencies, law enforcement, and providers of victim services, Foot assesses how differences in social location (financial well-being, race, gender, etc.) and sector-based values contribute to interpersonal, inter-organizational, and cross-sector challenges. She convincingly demonstrates that finding constructive paths through such multilevel tensions—by employing a mix of shared leadership, strategic planning, and particular practices of communication and organization—can in turn facilitate more robust and sustainable collaborative efforts.
- Ch. 1 The Collaboration Dilemma [Download]
- Ch. 2 Power in Collaboration
- Ch. 3 Leadership Strategies and Power Dynamics
- Ch. 4 Race and Gender in Multisector Anti-Trafficking Efforts
- Ch. 5 Why Beliefs, Values, and Priorities Are Hard to Align
- Ch. 6 The Perfect Storm and Paths through It
- Incorporates perspectives from a wide array of sectors involved in anti-trafficking efforts, including not just law enforcement and victim service providers but also survivor-activists, prosecutors, businesses, donor foundations, mobilization and advocacy NGOs, government agencies, faith-based organizations, and social services.
- Analyzes the systemic tensions that make cross-sector collaborations challenging.
- Draws on insights from sociology and organizational communication, and fieldwork in cities across the U.S.
- Offers evidence-based recommendations on practices for improving collaboration against human trafficking.
- Includes an appendix of exercises, tools, and resources to facilitate cross-sector collaboration.
- Straightforward presentation and practical advice will be useful to professionals involved in anti-trafficking efforts.
Order Now: You can save 30% by ordering Collaborating Against Human Trafficking directly from the publisher. Use discount code 4F15CAHT online at Rowman.com, or by returning this form via mail or fax, or by calling 1-800-462-6420.
Options are available for bulk orders and custom editions for agencies, businesses, and organizations that wish to co-brand this book for select audiences.
All royalties from this book go to nonprofits in U.S. cities dedicated to facilitating cross-sector collaboration to end human trafficking.